As parents we want to make sure we’re setting great examples for our kids. Growing up we all made mistakes and had to learn from it.
It’s been a hectic few weeks, but I had some time to reflect on where my life has taken me so far and since today is my last year in my twenties, I thought I’d share some things I’ve learned in hopes that one day my daughter will learn too.
1. Set a goal to be healthy, not skinny. There will always be parts of your body that you won’t like, but don’t beat yourself up. Exercise and eat well.
2. Work hard, play hard. You’re never going to get anything handed to you. You gotta work hard for what you want. Once you’ve done all you can do, kick up your heels and enjoy the wine!
3. Treat yourself! Buy the shoes, get your nails done, drink the coffee, eat the junk food, get massages, and enjoy yourself! You deserve it.
4. Make your own decisions. People will always give you their opinion and what they think is best for you, but if it doesn’t feel right, don’t force it because someone told you. Make your own choices because it’s what you want to do.
5. It’s okay to be confused about your career. This one will constantly change. One day you’ll want to be an event planner and the next you may want to be a teacher. Find something that will work for you in the long run and stick to it.
6. Never be afraid to show your sense of humor. Someone, somewhere out there will find you funny even if others don’t think you are. It’s okay to be silly and look weird doing so.
7. Don’t regret the things you did, just the things you didn’t do. You’re going to screw up and make big mistakes, but never regret them. Regret not going on that weekend trip to San Diego, regret not buying those last pair of shoes in your size, regret not chasing your dreams. Always live your life to the fullest.
8. It’s okay to be angry, but never cruel. We all get mad and need time to cool off, but never do or say things intentionally in hopes of hurting someone.
9. You should never date a man if you can’t imagine being married to him. If you know he’s bad news, treats his mom with disrespect, and doesn’t treat you like a lady – STAY AWAY FROM HIM.
10. Always put your family first. No matter how crazy they are, your family will always be there for you. Respect them, love them, and always remember where you came from.