As stated in my previous post, the last few months of the year are by far the busiest and most stressful. You’re up at the crack of dawn every morning to get ready for work while trying to get those morning snuggles from your baby to making your morning cup of coffee and setting your sitter up with bottles for the day.. I mean, the mornings alone are hectic as is!
As a full-time working mother, I’m on the go 24/7. There are no days off for us! Half-way through my working day my mind is usually elsewhere; it’s on my family, the half-done to-do list written on scratch paper, coordinating plans with friends & family during the holidays, finding a sitter for the baby when our main sitter can’t sit.. The list is literally endless and I’m sure my fellow mommas can relate.
For busy working families, the holiday break doesn’t really feel like a vacation because we’re constantly still working. It’s a plethora of activities, shopping, excitement, parties, and stress. With that in mind, there have been a few things that have helped me tremendously during these times.
- Starbucks DoubleSHOT Energy Drink. This thing is a LIFESAVER! I drink one every morning to jump-start my day and I’m usually great on energy for a good majority of the day. Like most people, caffeine is a must, but there are many parents that prefer alternate ways to keep their energy up. Find what works best for you because this is the time of the year where you’ll need energy the most!
- Shop Online. I cannot emphasize how often I use Amazon Prime. It’s the best thing out there! I do most of my shopping on there and the free 2-day shipping is clutch! Although I do enjoy hitting the stores during the busiest time of the year, online shopping is so much better for the busy working families.
- Hire a Housekeeper. This sounds so ridiculous when I say that I have a housekeeper out loud, but a lot of people do and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. That is what they are there for – to clean your house. That’s 5 hours of your time that you get to spend with your family or getting your errands done. Let them take care of your house.
- Keep Track of Everything you Buy. It’s the most wonderful time of the year….? More like most expensive time of the year! From all the family gifts, secret Santas, holiday parties, and White Elephant gifts, you might as well take my arm and leg! I don’t mind though because it really is better to give than receive.
- Take a Step Back and Enjoy the Magic. We’re all busy and stressed out, but every once in a while take a step back and really live in the moment with your loved ones. Enjoy the Christmas lights, drink hot cocoa, and take advantage of all the fun holiday events taking place in your local areas. It’s so important to not put so much pressure on ourselves during these stressful times so enjoy it while you can.