I’ve been blogging and trying to grow my online presence for the last year and I’m at a place where I feel comfortable sharing some things I’ve learned! I’ve had multiple girlfriends who have reached out to me and asked me how I got started and the common questions anyone would ask when first starting out. By no means am I an influencer, but it is flattering when people reach out and tell you they want to start a mommy blog too! It’s seriously pretty great.
I’ve compiled a list of Q&A’s that I get asked frequently so I hope these help! 🙂
- Where do I start?
- When I first started, I created my blog on WordPress.com. Came up with a title that reflected what I wanted my message/brand to be and as a first time mommy, decoding motherhood just felt right! Once I created my blog and had a few posts ready to publish, I started building my Instagram presence. I found accounts who are similar to mine and started following them and targeting their followers and learning how Instagram truly works.
- How do I continue to grow my followers?
- The key is ENGAGE! Follow accounts that interest you, like and engage with their posts, write genuine comments, and get to know your fellow mommy bloggers! I’m a part of a few mommy pods and we’ve all gotten to know each other and engage with one another. We’re all trying to figure out the same thing so it’s nice to also have that support from other moms.
- How do I get my Instagram to look cohesive and have the same aesthetic throughout?
- This one took me a long time to figure out! I also heard that brands/people are more inclined to follow you if you have a cohesive feed – 100% true. My question was, how do I achieve this goal?? I tried for months to take great photos and use the same filters, lighting, settings, etc… but even with the same edits, it wasn’t the same. It wasn’t until I discovered presets. Absolute game changer! You gotta pay a pretty penny for it, but it is so worth it. I’m currently using Alexa Jean presets and I love them!
- How do I keep up with posts? What if I don’t know what to write about?
- I keep a little calendar and I plan all my posts a head of time. I’ve been slacking the last few weeks, but when I first started, I would write 3 times a week. Decide what you want to write about and put it on a calendar so you can see everything laid out for you. I usually see what other bloggers are writing about or head to Pinterest for some inspiration!
- How do you get great photos of your daughter smiling or laughing?
- Haha my quote literally every time we take pictures, “Let’s make this quick, we only need one good one out of a hundred!” My husband is the man behind the camera and he just snaps away. He usually sings the ABC’s or If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands! It gets a smile, giggle, or even a little wiggle every time!
If you’re thinking of starting a mommy blog or even just a personal blog, my advice is just do it. No one is judging you for your writing ability or skills, or even more so, your feelings. Blogging is such a great platform to keep track of your life and I think it’s something that people would actually enjoy doing!